Father in Jesus Name I come to You so thankful that prayer isn't just what makes a difference, it is the difference and I thank You soo much that it works. Lord, teach me to pray and how to pray effectively for others. Teach me Your will and ways through my new found blessed prayer life. Lift my level of prayer through these notes, may I take them down and study them. Holy Spirit fill me afresh and move in me and through me please and I thank You so much and give You the glory and credit, remove pride and exemplify Yourself through my life. Lord, please reveal Your Son to the world through me, change others while You change me please in Jesus Name! AMEN!
“Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.” ~ Matthew 6:8
If God knows everything why pray?
Jesus introduced God as “Our Father,” you didn’t see that in the O.T. It was always THE LORD or Jehovah God; Jesus brought much more than forgiveness of sins; in that forgiveness Jesus brought…
God Designed Cycle of Prayer; Beginning with the Heart of God, coming down through your heart, passing back to God in prayer and then opening the door and opportunity for God to do the things He desires to do.” ~ Pastor Chuck Smith [Excerpt from ‘Prayer Our Glorious Privilege.’]
Intimacy is the key; when people hear of the word intimacy, people think to romance or sex.
ü Intimacy; a close, familiar, and usually affectionate or loving personal relationship with another person or group.
God wants to communicate with you. Notice I said WITH you, not to you.
(Why would God want me to tell Him I love Him if He already knows?) LINK with me and my wife or a child, knowing they about to say it but still wanting to hear it.
How many have children? (You can see God on another perspective and viewpoint.) Imagine if your child came to you and said “Mom, dad, I did this wrong.” “Mom, Dad, I wanted to do (this) but didn’t.”
You would be excited; it’s the same with God!
“But the prayer of the upright is his delight.” ~ Proverbs 15:8
If something is delightful to you, you will enjoy it, obviously. In the process of praying to God we give God a sense of pleasure.
Reaping & Sowing; God gets pleasure when you pray, you should experience a form of pleasure. Burdens should be lifted.
“Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.” ~ Galatians 6:7
You shouldn’t ever get up out of prayer and be discouraged, that’s not how God is. God always encourages us through and in prayer.
Where do you pray?
Where did Jesus pray the most?
“And he withdrew himself into the wilderness, and prayed.” ~ Luke 5:16
The Gospel of Luke records more of Jesus’ prayer life than others.
· Luke 3:21 (Praying before) The Holy Spirit descended
· Luke 6:12 (Prayer before big decisions) choosing the twelve disciples
· Luke 9:18; (Prayer before asking questions) Who do men say I am?
· Luke 9:28; (Praying before big events) Transfiguration
· Luke 11:1 (Praying before Disciples questioned Him) about learning how to pray
Is praying in the bed a smart place to pray?
The devil already doesn’t want you to pray, so in a “very comfortable situation;” that’s not a good move.
When you go and decide to pray, generally you might experience some “Anti-Prayer” side effects.
· Phone calls
· Text messages
· Walk the dog
· Desire to watch TV
What would hinder our prayers for being answered?
· Some prayers are unanswered due to Gods wisdom.
· Think back for a minute and imagine the prayers you have prayed and said “wow thank GOD that didn’t happen.”
· If I got everything I was praying for, I would be pregnant.
· We should all be able to admit, thank God for the word NO.
· Don’t always think no answer is a bad answer; what if God is saying “Wait, I have better…”
Issues that will hinder our prayers from being answered.
· Willful and known sin; just ask for forgiveness. We all fall short, nobody is perfect.
· What are some of those sins; Jesus said if you lust after a person sexually, you already committed adultery. Cussing folk out. Hate. Slander. Even if it’s just in your mind; don’t let the devil fool you. Dismiss certain thoughts.
· Being unforgiving towards another person.
· Just admit you hate them.
· Acknowledge that you need help to love them.
· The Bible says love keeps no record of wrongs.
· Can you pray for them in sincerity and mean it?
· Requirement to prayers being answered;
Pray in Jesus’ Name;
What is Jesus’ name? What does that mean?
I want a million dollars and two girlfriends IN JESUS NAME! Is this Biblical?
Jesus’ death gave us the ability to go directly to the Father in prayer, when we believe and acknowledge Him as the RISEN Savior. There is no need for a priest anymore. Mary isn’t needed either.
Think about the character of Jesus Christ when you pray. Can you honestly say; God I want you to do this for me? Is it in line with the character of God? Is it something Jesus would do and want?
Biblical Definition of ‘Faith.’ “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” ~ Hebrews 11:1
“But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” ~ Hebrews 11:6
1. You must have faith to please God
2. In order to increase your faith, you can diligently seek Him, not things, but Him.
What if I doubt?
Tell God; In case someone thinks I am crazy for that; here is some scripture.
“And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.” ~ Mark 9:24
The context of the scripture is Jesus is asked by a man for his son to be delivered from some form of “demonic attack.”
Help my unbelief. We discussed God is all knowing, He knows, why not just tell him?
Ways to Increase your Faith;
Think about who God is; how big God is before you pray; Think about all He has done for you.
Study The Word of God; “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” ~ Romans 10:17
§ Come to Bible Study
§ Join Ministries
§ Get around real Christian friends
§ Ask for others to pray for you
§ Get study material; Dictionaries, Handbooks, Study Bibles ; www.cbd.com
Listen to Biblical Teachers with Sound Doctrine;
§ Pastor Chuck Smith www.twft.org
§ Dr. Charles Stanley www.in-touch.org
Fasting and Prayer;
· Fasting is typically abstaining from food and or water.
· What if fasting from food isn’t the issue?
· Fast from the television, internet, clubs, beer, etc.
· The key purpose of fasting isn’t to get something from God. It is to get closer to Him.
· Generally if you fast, God is going to deal with sin first, not a Bentley, new Job, condo, house and a new husband or wife.
· Fasting can clear out our spiritual ears, so we can hear better AND know what to pray for.
"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone - for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth." ~ 1 Timothy 2:1-5
Jesus interceded for Peter and for us
- Jesus prayed for Peter; Luke 22:32 says, "But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."
- Jesus prayed for those who crucified Him; Luke 23:34 says, "Jesus said, 'Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.' And they divided up his clothes by casting lots."
- Jesus prayed for His disciples and for Believers throughout eternity in John 17.
- The church prayed for Peter when he was imprisoned; Acts 12:5 says, "So Peter was kept in prison, but the church was earnestly praying to God for him."
Samuel considered it a sin not to pray for believers;
“As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by failing to pray for you. And I will teach you the way that is good and right.” ~ 1 Samuel 12:23 (New International Version)
You are a production of Intercessory Prayer; someone prayed for you to come to Christ
What can I pray for? Colossians 1:9-14
v Knowledge of God
v Pastors, Preachers, Teachers, Police, Fire-fighters, Doctors
v Persecuted Church across seas
v For the Gospel to be spread
v Pray for the truth of the Gospel to be seen
v For family members and friends to understand and accept Christ
The Holy Spirit;
· He helps us pray.
· He leads us in prayer, when we allow Him too.
· He can show us things to pray for, for others as well.
The Prayer that is 100% the Will of God for your life and others;
“For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.” ~ Colossians 1:9-12 (New American Standard Bible)
1. “Be filled with the knowledge of His will”
2. “In all spiritual wisdom and understanding”
3. “Bearing fruit in every good work”
4. “Increasing in the knowledge of God”
5. “Strengthened with all power”
6. “Joyously giving thanks to the Father”
Requesting Direction for Someone’s Life
Spiritual Wisdom – Seeing life from Gods viewpoint and operating on the basis of the Fathers will.
To know the will of God is a treasure; it prevents a person from wasting their time, money, talents and gifts.
Spiritual Understanding – Understanding things the way they are, not as how they appear. Gods understanding.
He said we do not cease to pray, not pray every so often, but all the time.
Request to Walk Worthy of Jesus Christ’s Name
Walk obedient to what Christ wants for their life.
Walk in a manner so your conversation, conduct and character are consistent with The LORD Jesus Christ!
When someone meets you, they meet Him! Maybe not in the physical form, but His character, by what you are on the inside, not just what you appear to be.
When we disobey God, the Spirit of God convicts us; the same when we obey, the Spirit of God gives a sense of approving or approval.
A godly life is life a patterned after the life of Jesus Christ; it means that our goal is not to be perfect or sinless, but our goal is to follow Jesus Christ.
What would He have me to do today?
When Jesus and I met and we got saved, He left us here so we could make a difference and so our lives would count.
Your life is an extension of the life of Jesus Christ. Your eyes, ears, walk and talk represent Him.
ü An exhibition of His character.
ü A demonstration of His power.
Request that Your Life Will Make an Impact
All work is not good work
There is a difference between being fruitful and being busy.
“I am too busy to go to Church or serve The LORD.”
Being busy is not acceptable in the eyes of God.
We are to pray to be fruitful and that our lives would make a difference, an impact!
Pray for their life to make a difference:
Notice it says good work, many people impact people’s lives, but it’s very destructive.
What is good work?
Ø Lord how do You want me to invest my time?
Ø How do you want me to use my talents and gifts?
Request a Desire to Know God
To grow in The LORD
Study His Word;
ü Looking to understand the ways of God;
ü What does He think?
ü How does He operate?
ü What is His promise?
ü What happens when you obey Him?
ü What happens when you don’t?
ü Why does He do this?
ü Why doesn’t He do this?
ü Learning the ways of God
Apply what you learn;
· If you come to Church and you don’t have any intention of changing your life, you won’t bring a notebook or a pencil and pad.
· The Holy Spirit will teach you the truth, if you want to know it.
· Observe the consequences
· Nobody wants to talk about the consequences
Request to Experience the Power of God
When we pray for people, we want them to live out of the power and strength of God; this helps them to understand that nothing is impossible with God.
We can live a life in His energy, power and strength.
We can do what seems to be impossible with God.
God can handle anything that comes our way.
We can never ask God for too much strength or power.
The issue is am I willing to pray for it? Am I willing to believe it?
Our consistency in praying for someone reveals the value of the person to our lives.
Pray for His strength and patience; so you won’t give up and quit.
When we have learned about God we can joyously give thanks to Him, regardless of the circumstances.
Lord, I thank You so much for Your Word and for prayer. I ask only one thing now, may I grow in my prayer life and life of praying for others, teach me how to do this and I thank You for it while You change the world as I pray in Jesus Name! AMEN!