Father in Jesus Name I pray thankful. I ask You to let these notes help me to overcome temptations that easily take advantage of me. Lord, help me to rid my life of them and delete them out of my cell-phone and notebook. Holy Spirit sift and fill my life with You and not it. I thank You in advance in Jesus Name! AMEN!
What IS Temptation?
Temptation – something that tempts; entices or allures.
Tempt – To entice or allure to do something that is often unwise, wrong or immoral.
What are you tempted with everyday on the job, at school, in your homes, at your desk on the computer?
Everyone in the world has temptations and we at various times in our life and often fall victim to it, but what does God say about temptation?
Often we are tempted to listen to the wrong music (we know it’s wrong), fit in with the crowd, do what others do, go against God, not believe in God, not read the Bible, not going to Church, smoking cigarettes, sex, drugs, hating people, hurting people, hating your parents, getting mad at God, being angry at your brother, being angry at a friend, being angry at your sister, fear, envy, jealousy, bitterness, stealing, lying, revenge, peer pressure, disobeying parents, cussing, lying, cheating and lust
The world is filled with temptation, it’s on TV, it’s in school, it’s at work, it’s even at Church, yes even at Church.
Peer Pressure – social pressure by ones members of their peer group to take certain action, adopt certain values, or otherwise conform in order to be accepted. (God’s viewpoint; Romans 12:2)
“But every person is tempted when he is drawn away, enticed and baited by his own evil desire (lust and passions).” ~James 1:14 (Amplified Bible)
What is lust?
Lust – A passionate or overmastering desire or craving, uncontrolled appetite
What does God say about all of these things? Is there a way to overcome these things that we fall victim to?
“No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and He will not allow you to be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation He will also provide the way of escape.” ~ 1 Corinthians 10:13 (English Standard Version)
This means that no-one faces new temptation and we all have temptations.
God provides a way out of all of our temptations! The phone could ring (it could be your mother or brother), the person may walk away or you may have to go-to class or study, these are routes of escape that God often places in your life when you are tempted.
Key points in temptation! Things to remember.
- God is with you, even in temptation
- God is rooting for you to overcome, He wants you to overcome it and will help you
- Victory is provided by God! He will show you how to overcome, if you let Him
- Overcoming your temptation is possible with The Word of God and the Holy Spirit
- Victory is yours, it is yours! God has given you a way of escape for all temptation, you have to take it!
“And it came to pass after these things, that his master’s wife cast her eyes upon Joseph; and she said, lie with me. But he refused.” ~ Genesis 39:7-8
Key points in this passage of scripture (Read full chapter for better understanding Genesis 39)
- His temptation didn’t just stop when he said “no”
- He recognized that this temptation was against God and not against himself
- Joseph overcame by running away
Each of these instances in Joseph’s life proves that God is able to help us in any temptation, it proves scripture is real and can help us in our everyday activities and life.
“And it came to pass about this time, that Joseph went into the house to do his business and there was none of the men of the house there within and she caught him.” ~ Genesis 39:11
What is the environment of temptation?
With who are you tempted to sin/do the wrong things?
- Certain people? Peer pressure? School guys? Cheerleaders? Brothers? Friends? Church buddies?
Where are you tempted?
- At Home? At home alone after school? At his house, at her house? In his car, in her car? Job? School? On a computer? Phone? Text messages? Facebook? Twitter?
When are you tempted to sin?
- Certain day? Certain class? Time? Week? Weekend? Angry? Sad? Lonely?
In order to have victory, you have to know the details of your temptation and why it’s happening?
We often fall victim to temptation because we desire to do these things, but inside we know it’s wrong and it hurts us and others, especially our parents, Pastor and those who truly care about us.
Why are you tempted?
- The devil tempts people (James 1:13)
- God allows this to show your strength and show your weakness
God is not mad at you if you fall into temptation! However, God is ready to help you on the track of overcoming this!
How to overcome and have victory
The key to overcoming temptation is knowing yourself? Write a list of what tempts you. Write out a prayer asking for freedom and forgiveness for falling and ask God daily (sometimes even hourly) to help you. He will!
- What are you around?
- What do you like to do that entices you or draws you?
Get away from people who do these
- You can’t overcome by sticking with the crowd and trying to fit in. It takes courage to leave people that hurt your life, but you have so much more to live for. You have the capability to become a Doctor, Lawyer, Pastor, Preacher, Mayor, President, Teacher or anything in the world that you desire to become, but we often have to leave a group of people to find out what to do in life.
- Leave them alone, delete Facebook friends, texts, phone numbers, avoid people, change your phone number, block numbers, even switch schools if it’s that necessary and sometimes it is!
- God loves to hear from you! God wants to help you! God wants to free you! God wants to talk with you and show you Himself! God wants to make sure you know He is real, but we have to believe first! (John 14:21)
- Be honest with God! He won’t get mad! Tell Him that you like doing these things and ask Him to change your heart.
Know Gods Word!
- What does God say?
- How does God tell me to live?
- How do I get away from this temptation? (2 Timothy 2:22)
God has given us the ability to overcome anything that hurts us and hinders us. Often we reach towards drugs and sex, things that hurt us because we ourselves are hurt. We have been betrayed, abandoned, left by people, hurt by people and various other things? What are you truly hurt about? God wants to heal THAT! God wants to help you get through bad times in your life. God wants to help you get through the pain of a divorce in your family. God wants you to know that you are special to Him. He created you with a purpose, a good one! He loves you so much and wants to do so much for you, but we have to come to Him and allow Him to do it.
He wants to spend time with you, will you spend time with Him?
Ways to spend time with God
- Studying the Bible
- Bible Study
- Youth Church
- Giving money, funds, time, talent and gifts to your Church
- Helping others, Loving others
- Doing things to help your parents/guardian around the house. God has a plan and we have so many options to do something for others every day, part of His plan is giving and helping others.
“For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.” ~ John 3:16 (New Living Translation)
God loves you and died for your sins. Jesus paid a price for all of your sins, the temptations we fall for, the temptations we will fall for as well. However, we have to believe in Jesus to overcome sin/temptation and in the process of believing we will have Eternal Life and victory over those things that hurt us and hinder us from receiving the best God’s plan has to offer.
“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” ~ Jeremiah 29:11 (New Living Translation)
God has a plan for your life. You’re not here on mistake or as an accident. You are valuable, you’re a prized possession of God! The Creator of the Universe loves YOU! You are beautiful! It’s a plan that we often don’t know right away, but His plan has a promise, a purpose, a reason and a season to be completed. Will you let Him work in your life to show you this plan? It’s a choice that we have to willingly make every-day. Will you let God have control of your life so He can show you what life is all about? Many people search in life and never find peace, joy, security and happiness, but we fail to look to Jesus Christ who is God for these things. God has these things available to us, we just have to believe in Him. It’s too simple to pass up and too good to leave behind. Age doesn’t matter with God. (1 Timothy 4:12) God wants us to know Him at any age, especially a younger age as well. You have the capability to change the world. God wants you to do well in school and continue your education. God can show you where to go-to College. God wants you on His side, on His team. He also is concerned and cares for you and every area of your life! God Bless! Ask for prayer if you need it!
Father in Jesus Name I thank You so much that You have a plan. Lord, show me how to overcome sin and let sin not have dominion over me anymore. Lord, let my life shine brighter because of the great freedom that You have given already in faith. Lord, I ask You to help me to help others and I pray that I can overcome the temptation to not love others. Please help me take note of these things again and I thank You so much because prayer works and You are already on the job fixing me for Your glory and Kingdoms goal and work. I thank You. May I do all of Your will in the spirit of love and humility in Jesus Name! AMEN!